Sunday, December 31, 2006

There's no place like home for the holidays . . . and by "home", I mean Walt Disney World

Today, Sunday, December 10, 2006 was a catch-up and rest day before heading home. I spent most of the entire day at the Magic Kingdom. I wanted to see The Country Bear Jamboree. It was my dad's favorite attraction when we visited the Magic Kingdom for the first time 35 years ago, and he passed away just before Thansgiving. I also waited because I thought I might start crying when I saw the show (I didn't). I got my picture taken with the Big Cheese (Mickey Mouse) and the Big Ham (Donald Duck). There was a little excitement during the day. I went on the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and left my camera and bag onthe ride when i got off. I didn't realize it until I was on Splash Mountain. When I went back they still had it. Evidently the lady and her son who got in the car after me were really nice and honest people. I was worried for a while but whatcha gonna do? I never made it back to Pirates of the Caribbean but I did get to ride its a small world and see the new facade. it looks more like Disneyland's its a small world. One of the new perks Disney has is PhotoPass. They hand you a card and you can get your picture taken anywhere and all over the parks where there are Disney photographers. They even had a special card the night of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. The perk with my vacation package was that I was entitled to a free 5X7 photograph but it has to be claimed online (I still need to do that). The perk with my MVMCP ticket was 50% any one 5X7 photograph taken that night in the park and 50% off any photograghs I ordered online. Both cards with their photos are valid for 30 days and then once I register online the photos are available for purchase for the next 60 days. While all the photographs are online I can send them to friends and family. Also you are able to edit and add borders to your photographs. You also have the option of buying the CD with all your photographs but without the added borders. Quite a marketing tool! I bought the one photo from MVMCP that night and bought the CD with ALL my photos from BOTH cards on it before i left on Sunday. Like I said: Quite the marketing tool!
The morning at the Wilderness Lodge was a relaxing breakfast since I had already packed the night before. I have to say that Magical Express works pretty well. The check-in desk was able to check my luggage but wasn't able to print a boarding pass for me. That was okay. I was more concerned about getting my bags back home. I could always use self-check-in at MCO to obtain my boarding pass. When I checked-in from STL I upgraded to First Class because my flight was being delayed and I was hungry (I figured it was the addition of a free meal). First-class was wonderful! Plenty of leg room, hot roasted nuts, a heated towel before dinner, free drinks, great meal, direct check-in and automatic boarding. So on the way home from MCO, I upgraded again (I was already spoiled from staying at the Wilderness Lodge). This time I sat by a talkative guy named Jim. He was traveling with his wife and baby daughter, and his brothers. It was nice to have a conversation partner on the flight. We discussed various topics and he shared some PowerPoint presentation on his laptop. I have to admit he was quite intelligent. On the trip in a and the trip back they (magical Express) have the on-board video pretty timed to the trip, welcoming you to Walt Disney World and bidding you a fair farewell and hurry back. Well, not I have a favorite new resort hotel and it is Disney's Wilderness Lodge. Don't know when I can afford to stay there again, but I am hoping to be back to WDW for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party in 2010 (I have to wait until All Saints Day falls on a Monday to get a longer weekend to enjoy the trip).
So ends my fourth trip report for day 4. There is snowplace like Disney for the holidays!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home