Sunday, July 10, 2005

Lullaby of Broadway

Okay I think this is pretty cool! I'm in the Summer Alumni Theatre's production of 42nd Street at Bishop DuBourg High School. I was part of The Guild my four years at DB and did lots of shows. Jim Leibrecht was ans is our director. Tonight was our third performance this week. Tomorrow we close with a matinee. Anyway, at tonight's production Norbert Leo But was present along with his family (Wife, kids, mom and dad, brother Tony and his family). You may remember form my previous blog that Norbie won a Tony this year for Best Actor in a Musical. Norbie is also a Guildo and DB graduate, who went on to make it big. The fact that he would come back and us in our show when he was in town is SO COOL! I mean I shouldn't be surprised he is a Guildo and that is FAMILY. Nobody knew he was there at first, but Jim announced it at intermission to the cast and after our final bow, Jim had some words to say about what theatre and belonging to the Guild means to all of us. He also recognized that fact that we had a Guild alumni Tony Award winner there with his family. Afterwards, we got to visit and people took pictures and got autographs and all the other things we "fans" like to do. I got my self an autograph, and my friend Joe was so excited he got an autograph on his $5 prop from the show. And that's cool too, becuase Joe is this 17 year old kid , who was a jock his three years at DB but tried out for a show, got bitten by the theatre bug and says he "hasn't looked back." I am sure my friends, Stacey (DB and Guild alumni) and Christian (Guild member extradonairre) are writing about this experience and you should read their blogs too. They had their cameras and got pictures with Norbert and maybe also an autograph, I know Allison did too.
It's late, I need to get some sleep before tomorrow's final performance, but for all the kids out there in the Guild who dream of making it big in theatre, Norbert Leo Butz is proof that that dream can come true. And for the entire cast and crew of 42nd Street, I am so glad we had this chance to work together. Its been real. Its been fun. Its been real fun. Now let's go and bust our buns one last time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home